Prepare For A Marriage Based Green Card Interview With An Experienced Chicago Green Card Lawyer
If you or your spouse is looking to obtain a marriage based Green Card, you will need to attend an interview. The interview is given to test the validity of your marriage, to make sure that the details you provided on the application are factual and to verify documentation.
If you or your spouse is looking to obtain a marriage based Green Card, you will need to attend an interview. The interview is given to test the validity of your marriage, to make sure that the details you provided on the application are factual and to verify documentation. The interview is meant to flush out the details of the marriage to ensure that the marriage did not happen just for immigration purposes. Here are some tips that will help the interview go smoothly.
- Bring the documents that are requested in the letter that you received. The documents that are requested may include proof of regular visits between you and your spouse if the two of you are living apart, birth certificates for your children, personal photos, financial statements that show you and your spouse share the finances and affidavits from people that can attest to the validity of your marriage. Also, bring the originals of the documents you included in your application.
- Arrive on time at the location specified in the letter. If you live in the United States, you will go to an USCIS office. If you live outside the United States, you will most likely attend the interview at the United States Consulate.
- Dress appropriately for the interview. It is recommended that you wear business casual clothes.
- Review your application materials before you attend the interview. Know the application inside out. It would be helpful to have a friend or family member practice interview questions with you. You should expect to be asked some very personal questions. You may be questioned on the details surrounding your wedding and the wedding itself, the details of how you met your spouse, the financial specifics of the relationship and the daily routine between you and your spouse. These are only some of the areas you might be questioned on. You should be prepared for probing personal questions.
- If there have been changes in the circumstances since the date of your application, explain the changes to the immigration officer. Also, bring any documentation that might substantiate these changes.
- Answer all the questions you are asked accurately. It is easy to forget small details and memories, so when you are asked a question, take your time and collect your thoughts before you answer.
- Remain calm and polite during the interview. If a sensitive topic comes up, take time to compose yourself.
- Answer all the questions truthfully. Any dishonesty can hurt your chances of immigration and may even result in denial of your application.
The green card interview is a significant step in obtaining a marriage based green card. It is important that you prepare adequately and know what to expect during the interview. If you have any questions about the marriage based green card applications, you should consult an experienced immigration attorney at Kriezelman Burton & Associates, LLC. Your attorney will also be able to help you prepare for the interview.